This page covers the process of installing XMMS2 from source code. You may also use binary packages if you want.
Obtaining the source
Check the download page for information on how to obtain the XMMS2 source code.
You will need the following things to build XMMS2.
- Python (>=2.4.x)
- GLib (>= 2.8.0)
- SQLite (>=3.2.4) (will work for versions < 3.2.4, but with poor performance and potential bugs)
If you are building XMMS2 on a binary distro, be sure to install -dev or -headers versions of these packages (if available). XMMS2 uses these headers to link to shared libraries on your system and will not build.
These libraries are not needed for building xmms2d itself, but will add extra functionality you might need. You will probably want MAD at the very least as without it, you can't play MP3s.
- For xform plugins:
- Curl (>= 7.12.0) - For listening to streams over HTTP.
- MAD (Ubuntu and debian users will want libmad0-dev) - For listening to MPEG files (MPEG 1 & 2 layers I, II and III - includes MP3)
- FAAD - For listening to AAC.
- Vorbisfile - For listening to Ogg Vorbis.
- SIDplay2 - For listening to SIDs.
- reSID - For listening to SIDs.
- libFLAC - for FLAC support
- libmodlpug - for fasttracker support
- libmpcdec - for musepack support
- libofa - for OFA fingerprinting support
- libdiscid and libcdio - for CDDA support
- SAMBA - for smbclient support
- libmms - for mms stream support
- libgnomevfs - for ssh support
- FFmpeg - for wma and avcodec support
- Jack - for JACK support
- FFTW3 and libsamplerate - for vocoder support
- libxml2 - for XSPF and RSS (read: podcast)
- libgme - for Game Music support
- For output plugins:
- For language bindings (required by some clients):
As with the packages above, be sure to grab -dev or -headers packages if building on a binary distro!
Some supported platforms may have variations on build requirements:
Will configure your build. Interesting options:
- --prefix <path> : tells waf to put the installation in path
- --conf-prefix <path> : tells waf to append -I<path>/include and -L<path>/lib before trying to compile anything
- --without-plugins <list> : disable all the plugins in list.
- --nocache : rerun all configuration tests.
- -p : show a useless but cool progress bar when building!
See ./waf --help for additional options.
will build your copy of XMMS2. All objects and binaries will end up in _build_/.
will install into <prefix>
easy as 123.